Friday, February 11, 2011

Monkey Love, Part I

I started thinking about Alexandra's first birthday party last summer, trying to decide on a theme.  She loves this giggling monkey from PBK and it was the first thing (other than Mommy and Daddy, of course!) that made her giggle.  After watching her giggling with it one afternoon, I knew that a monkey theme would  be perfect!  I love personal touches and wanted Alexandra's party to be unique despite having a theme that has been used before so my first step was contacting Kelly from WH Hostess to come up with an inspiration board.  I told her I wanted to use a color palette of pale pink, pale yellow, and milk chocolate brown and sent her a picture of a cute monkey I liked.  The board she sent me was definitely inspiring, and it set everything in motion.  Once I was up to my eyes in the planning process, I realized I needed help to accomplish everything I wanted to do in my limited time frame so I contacted the talented Christi of P is for Party to help me find the best vendors in Houston and execute a fabulous party for my sweet Alexandra.
 
Alexandra, the morning of her birthday party
 As guests walked up to the front door, they were surrounded by ribbon moss balls hung on shepherd hooks and the cutest monkey welcome sign.


I loved, loved, loved the flowers.  Christi recommended Houston florist, Lisa Tran, to create the arrangements and she did not disappoint!  She created the most beautiful arrangement for the foyer, which I accented with some of my favorite pictures of Alexandra, to greet guests as they walked in the door.


Inside, the tables served as a focal point. Each table was draped in a pink linen and held three small arrangements, including pink and white ceramic vases, which Lisa filled with bright yellow billy balls, pink roses and hydrangeas in pink and green.  I knew I wanted moss cones as well so Lisa adorned them with pink spray roses and yellow calla lilies.


I used poms in shades of pink, yellow and green everywhere throughout the party from counter tops and mantles to the arms of chandeliers.  Thank you Mom for single handily fluffing all 50 poms!!


We also used centerpiece sticks in small white pots full of personalized M&Ms in shades of pink and yellow.  Some were personalized with Alexandra's picture and some said "Lexiloo" and "I'm ONE!"


I love food so I wanted the food at Alexandra's party to be yummy and A Fare Extraordinaire did not disappoint!  The food was fabulous and we made sure to have options for both the parents and the kiddos.


Cakes by Gina also did a fabulous job with Alexandra's monkey cake.  I sent them a picture of a monkey I liked and the cake came out fabulously!


To highlight the area where Miss Alexandra would dive into her smash cake, Christi and I created a ribbon backdrop which consisted of a mixture of satin and grosgrain ribbon in all of the party colors.  This backdrop was definitely a labor of love.  It took us hours to carefully cut and tape each individual ribbon onto my existing draperies.  It turned out gorgeous, but we were so happy when we finally finished it!


 Since the weather in Houston is nice most of the year, the party took place both inside and out.  The backyard was set up as the play area for the many kids in attendance.  Pink and white beach balls and large pink exercise balls were sporadically placed throughout the area.  The kids loved running around kicking and throwing the balls!  We set up a bouncy house so the kids could jump around and play and made sure to have plenty of water because it can get hot in Houston!



After lots of playing, the kids were excited to dig into the dessert table.  The table was full of yummy sweets including macaroons, gumballs, chocolate covered oreos with bananas on top, cupcakes, taffy, and rock candy.


As a parting gift, the kids took home a plush monkey and custom bubble tin.  My mom and I lovingly tied every bow to secure the pipe cleaners to the bubble tin and to give it that little extra something.


When it comes to parties, I love all the little details so I hope you enjoyed the ones I shared with you.  Part I was all about the decor and details.  Stay tuned for Part II which is all about fun, family, and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment